Skip to main content

Build Challenge FAQ

The Build Challenge is NightLight's unique take on the classic build randomizer. The idea is that while builds are randomly shown, they're not randomly generated. The NightLight servers hold a list of every possible perk combination. These combinations are checked off as they are run by NightLight users in their uploaded games and will never appear again.

To make things more interesting, running a unique build will add a point to your personal total. These totals are then displayed on the Build Challenge Leaderboard.

Is every build shown actually unique?

Each build shown on the "randomiser" is guaranteed to be a unique combination at the time it's shown. It's also guaranteed to not appear again for a few hours (though someone else could still claim it).

After that period it's thrown back into the pool and has the same chance as everything else of appearing again. Given how many there are, there's a decent chance you won't be seeing a given build again for a while.

How does this work with match sharing?

Both the uploader and any recipients of the shared match are eligible to claim builds. If a build is run by multiple players then the uploader is given precedence, after that it's given in descending scoreboard order.

What happens if I upload an older match with an already claimed build?

Builds are claimed when a match is reviewed and don't factor in the match date.

What happens if I edit or delete a match?

Editing perks or associations will result in the relevant builds being unclaimed. For technical reasons the new build/s won't be evaluated for uniqueness.

Is there any sort of reward or prize for running unique builds?

The Build Challenge is meant to be a bit of fun so the rewards are too - if you run enough builds you can appear on the leaderboard or claim milestone badges.

Why didn't I get credit for a build?

Either you or someone else must have run the build already. Only one person across the whole of NightLight can get credit for a build, once someone's played it that's it. If you think your build is genuinely unique or crazy enough that no one will have ever run it but it still doesn't count then let me know, and I'll check it out.