Announcing NightLight Desktop & the "NightLight Toolbox"

It’s NightLight Desktop time! :eyes:

NightLight Desktop is an installable companion app for NightLight and is something I (and I know many of you) have wanted for a long time. Currently, it’s aimed to replicate the functionality of the recently shutdown Dead by Daylight Icon Toolbox. In time, I plan to add other features such as the ability to automatically screenshot & upload matches.

As the Icon Toolbox shut down somewhat more abruptly than anyone was expecting, I’ve been a bit rushed to get this to a usable point. As it stands there’s a couple of core features which aren’t yet added (namely pack editing/deletion via the UI) and a few rough corners but I’ll continue to work on those over the coming days.

There’s a few key things I should mention:

• As with the old toolbox, obviously both the app and custom icons are not “officially supported” and whilst I can’t see us having any issues with bans or whatever either, I can’t guarantee anything.
  • The icon pack functionality is currently only available in-app, in a few days (once I’m happy things are working) I will be adding the relevant parts to the main site.

For pack creators:

• As is, the app is fairly strict about what can be uploaded - it validates the file name and the image dimensions (as from what I understand, the game is particular about both). There’s some inconsistently sized icons in the game and I’ve tried to replicate those in the validation. All that is to say, existing packs may cause some warnings to appear (though mostly for the more obscure icons that I’m not sure actually work in game anyway). It might be needlessly strict but I thought it best to start off that way and relax things as necessary.

If you run into any issues or have any suggestions/feedback, I’d love to hear from you!

2 Likes